Just like you regularly clean your kitchen to keep cobwebs and cockroaches away, you should regularly update old content. If you do, the results can be extraordinary. For example, Derek Gleason, Content Lead at CXL, updated old blog posts for CXL that resulted in 130 percent increase in traffic to those posts.
In episode 76, you’ll learn:
- The difference between good content and bad content
- How CXL updated old blog posts that resulted in 130% traffic increase to those articles
- How to rank higher in search engines and how to maintain it
Tweet Some Quotes from This EpisodeIt’s a challenge to be able to simplify concepts without being reductionist. – @derek_gleason from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full podcast episode 👇 Click To Tweet I think one of the challenges that I see from some people in content marketing is they start on the marketing side, and they’ve never really been in a serious content side, and I think it’s probably harder to get a feel for what very… Click To Tweet You want to do right by the users, you want to provide the most comprehensive updates as possible, but you’re also on a budget doing this. – @derek_gleason from the @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode, RankScience. RankScience is the easiest way to grow organic traffic and get your content ranking higher in Google.
Their AI-powered platform gives your content team superpowers and helps you get more value out of the content you’re already creating.
RankScience uses real-time search data and Natural Language Processing to help you craft content that is highly relevant to searcher intent and maps directly to what users are searching for. This allows you to optimize past blog posts and plan out and create new ones, giving you a step by step plan for easy success.
For customers with lots of landing pages, you can leverage RankScience’s SEO A/B testing platform to easily test which HTML changes cause an uplift in search traffic.
As an added bonus, their platform also allows marketers to make SEO enhancements to websites without eating up precious engineering resources.
RankScience is used by hundreds of companies to grow organic traffic, from startups to publicly traded companies. Including customers like Buildzoom, Goldbelly, Suiteness, and CareerKarma.
Sign up for a free risk-free 30-day trial at https://rankscience.com/growthtoday
My Takeaways from This Episode
- Focus on the process instead of the tricks. Derek emphasizes the importance of having your focus on the right part of the process – whether you are focusing on the content itself or blindly trying to use tricks and techniques that would allow you to market your content.
- Write content that’s “need to know, hard to find.” I love this distillation of the two qualities of great content. “Need to know” differentiates itself from “nice to know.” It’s something people need to do their job well. “Hard to find” speaks to the quality and depth of the article, and not just another “listicle.”
- Avoid the big “M” mistakes with your content. Derek likes to use the term derivative content for the really terrible stuff that makes it out there a lot, which is, somebody goes in and they Google a topic, they look at the first five or seven search results, and they create a post. It’s a mashup of those things. It’s also articles that are too outdated such as a Google Tag Manager article that still uses images of the old interface.
Become a Patreon Supporter
I want to give my podcast fans even more exclusive access to my guests and me. Check out the Growth Today Patreon page for more details.
For as little as $2 per episode get perks like:
- Growth Today thank you note and stickers mailed to you
- Access to the private Growth Today Slack community
- Get podcast episodes at least one day earlier than the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- Listen LIVE to select podcast recording sessions (at least once a month)
- And more…
Please consider becoming a Growth Today patron today. This is a one-man show; I record, edit, and create all the marketing materials for each episode. My goal is to raise $200 per podcast episode, so I can focus on finding more amazing guests and giving you more value.
The first 20 supporters will get all the perks for 75% off. Plus, I’ll mention you in every episode for the rest of the year and podcast episodes.
Thank you to my first Patreons:
- Jamie from the United States
- Veronika from the UK
- Fabricio Marcias from Brazil
- Nicholas Vargas from Australia
- Sam Grover from New Zealand
- Joseph Valenti from Canada
- Louis Nicholls from Switzerland
- Jason Ng from the United States
- Anwar from Canada
- Altagracia Diaz from Canada
Thank you! 🎉
About Derek Gleason
Derek Gleason is the Content Lead at CXL. He used to do agency-side content marketing and SEO. Before that, he edited encyclopedias.
Key Discussion Points
- 9:31 – Derek’s journey from editing encyclopedias to digital content marketing
- 17:06 – How to maintain SEO rankings for blog posts
- 25:13 – The big mistakes marketing teams make with content
- 33:42 – How to continuously update content to increase SEO ranking
- 39:14 – The difference in good content and bad content
- 51:58 – Derek’s advice for the other content marketers
Join the Growth Today Tribe
Get the actionable growth cheat sheets from the latest podcast episodes. Ask questions to upcoming guests. 👇
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.