Trends come and go, but content marketing — particularly blogging — remains one of the top marketing channels. In this episode, Kaleigh Moore, freelance content writer for SaaS and eCommerce, shares how to produce top-performing blog posts, promote them, leverage different media types, and make your content as evergreen as possible. Kaleigh has been hired by top companies on the Fortune 500 as well as growing SaaS companies, including AT&T, ReCharge Payments, HubSpot, and BigCommerce.
In episode 71, you’ll learn:
- Kaleigh’s blogging strategy that directly resulted in more than $10k in revenue
- Big trends in content marketing in 2020 and beyond
- How to get into the “flow” of writing
If you enjoyed this podcast, you can support it in three ways:
- Tweeting a quote from this podcast below👇
- Joining the Growth Today Tribe for free
- Supporting me on Patreon for as little as $2 per episode
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode, RankScience. RankScience is the easiest way to grow organic traffic and get your content ranking higher in Google.
Their AI-powered platform gives your content team superpowers and helps you get more value out of the content you’re already creating.
RankScience uses real-time search data and Natural Language Processing to help you craft content that is highly relevant to searcher intent and maps directly to what users are searching for. This allows you to optimize past blog posts and plan out and create new ones, giving you a step by step plan for easy success.
For customers with lots of landing pages, you can leverage RankScience’s SEO A/B testing platform to easily test which HTML changes cause an uplift in search traffic.
As an added bonus, their platform also allows marketers to make SEO enhancements to websites without eating up precious engineering resources.
RankScience is used by hundreds of companies to grow organic traffic, from startups to publicly traded companies. Including customers like Buildzoom, Goldbelly, Suiteness, and CareerKarma.
Sign up for a free risk-free 30-day trial at https://rankscience.com/growthtoday
Tweet Some Quotes from This EpisodeTo create a really interesting piece of content, go deep, make new points, add new things to the conversation, and show lots of recent examples. – @kaleighf from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full podcast episode 👇 Click To Tweet The best performing piece I've written is over 5,000 words. It's better to go deep with a topic than write shallow pieces. – @kaleighf from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet Distraction is the enemy of productive writing and achieving that flow state. Close all your tabs. Put your phone on silent. Create an environment where distractions are eliminated – @kaleighf from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full… Click To Tweet
My takeaways from this episode
- Find your people. Find your little online tribe and participate. Don’t just lurk in the shadows of Twitter or Facebook groups. Talk to people and schedule coffee chats. In marketing (and I think in life), connections are important. It opens up doors.
- When it comes to content, go deep and have some personality. It’s easy to do the one-off content that’s 500 words, which costs next to nothing to have written or takes like 20 minutes to put together. Kaleigh’s best articles go deep, make new points, and add new things to the conversations that are already happening.
- Re-purpose your blog content. Take blog content and then make videos orInstagram stories or social posts. That’s not entirely a new idea, but Kaleigh is seeing more and more people do it these days, especially video, which I think is wise because YouTube is the second biggest search engine.
Become a Patreon Supporter
I want to give my podcast fans even more exclusive access to me and my guests. Check out the Growth Today Patreon page for more details.
For as little as $2 per episode get perks like:
- Growth Today thank you note and stickers mailed to you
- Access to the private Growth Today Slack community
- Get podcast episodes at least one day earlier than the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- Listen LIVE to select podcast recording sessions (at least once a month)
- And more..
Please consider becoming a Growth Today patron today. This is a one-man show; I record, edit and create all the marketing materials for each episode. My goal is to raise $200 per podcast episode so I can focus on finding more amazing guests and giving you more value.
The first 20 supporters will get all the perks for 75% off. Plus, I’ll mention you in every episode for the rest of the year and podcast episodes.
Thank you to my first Patreons:
- Jamie Ward rom the United States
- Veronika B from UK
- Fabricio Marcias from Brazil
- Nicholas Vargas from Australia
- Sam Grover from New Zealand
- Joseph Valenti from Canada
- Louis Nicholls from Switzerland
- Anwar Hasen from Canada
- Jan Kazel from Czech Republic
Thank you! 🎉
About Kaleigh Moore
Kaleigh Moore has always had an entrepreneurial spirit. While in college, she started an online business, making sales to thousands of customers from around the world. Upon graduating from college, she went on to work in Public Relations for a non-profit.
Kaleigh has spoken at several colleges and at numerous organizations on building a following using social media. She has also written for many publications, both online and in print.
- 4:08 – The story of how Kaleigh became a sought after content writer
- 5:36 – What’s the difference between writing for eCommerce versus SaaS companies
- 8:20 – Kaleigh’s blogging process that gets results
- 9:32 – Information you should have before you start writing
- 11:39 – Why it’s important for writers to let ideas marinade
- 13:35 – What’s makes a blog article good
- 14:48 – What are some misconceptions people have about blogging and content writing
- 17:23 – A story on one Kaleigh’s failure early on her freelancing career
- 19:26 – How Kaleigh’s get into the “flow” of writing
- 20:48 – How long are blog articles that perform the best
- 22:40 – Big trends in content marketing in 2020 and beyond
- 25:08 – How to get more exposure for your content
- 26:28 – Kaleigh’s one piece of advice for marketers who want to get into freelancing
- 28:26 – Kaleigh’s advice for marketers and founders and creating content that gets results
- 29:09 – Where can people find out more about Kaleigh online?
- Kaleigh’s website
- Kaleigh’s twitter
- Creative Class — Kaleigh’s project for freelancers
- Creative Class Podcast
- Kaleigh Moore, Yeah Write Club — Kaleigh’s newsletters
Join the Growth Today Tribe
Get the actionable growth cheat sheets from the latest podcast episodes. Ask questions to upcoming guests. 👇
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.