How does your content strategy, acquisition channels, and copy change when targeting businesses of different sizes? In this episode, we’re going to take a deep-dive into the difference between marketing to an enterprise level business and a smaller business or solopreneur. Kasey Bayne shares her experience on how she adapted her marketing strategy for targeted small businesses and solopreneurs at FreshBooks and enterprise companies at DataTrue as Head of Marketing.
In episode 73, you’ll learn:
- What are the similarities and differences with selling to SMBs versus enterprise?
- How do you adapt your content strategy for different company sizes?
- What are marketing foundations that remain the same when selling to SMBs or enterprise?
If you enjoyed this podcast, you can support it in three ways:
- Tweeting a quote from this podcast below👇
- Joining the Growth Today Tribe for free
- Supporting me on Patreon for as little as $2 per episode
Tweet Some Quotes from This EpisodeWhether you're selling to startup or a fortune 500 company, you're really helping an individual solve their problems. Understand their problems and what they care about. – @kaseybayne from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full podcast… Click To Tweet Focus on what you're best at. There are so many different areas in marketing and it's really better to be amazing at the things that you are best at. – @kaseybayne from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet What you want to look at, especially, when you are getting more data driven as a marketing team is to figure out your end goal by each project or campaign. – @kaseybayne from the @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode, RankScience. RankScience is the easiest way to grow organic traffic and get your content ranking higher in Google.
Their AI-powered platform gives your content team superpowers and helps you get more value out of the content you’re already creating.
RankScience uses real-time search data and Natural Language Processing to help you craft content that is highly relevant to searcher intent and maps directly to what users are searching for. This allows you to optimize past blog posts and plan out and create new ones, giving you a step by step plan for easy success.
For customers with lots of landing pages, you can leverage RankScience’s SEO A/B testing platform to easily test which HTML changes cause an uplift in search traffic.
As an added bonus, their platform also allows marketers to make SEO enhancements to websites without eating up precious engineering resources.
RankScience is used by hundreds of companies to grow organic traffic, from startups to publicly traded companies. Including customers like Buildzoom, Goldbelly, Suiteness, and CareerKarma.
Sign up for a free risk-free 30-day trial at https://rankscience.com/growthtoday
My Takeaways from This Episode
- Focus on the individual within the company you’re trying to help. Kasey said that’s true regardless of the type of company you’re selling to, whether that’s for a small businesses or enterprise companies. It’s really about understanding who your target persona is and who that person is
- Focus what you’re best at. There are so many different areas in marketing. It’s really better to be amazing at a few things than being mediocre at a lot of things.
- Focus on the impact of your work. Kasey said that it’s so easy to get lost in the weeds as marketers and not really your impact on the business really for anybody that’s not in a sales role. Know the impact of your work, such as knowing how many customers came from the campaign you launched.
Become a Patreon Supporter
I want to give my podcast fans even more exclusive access to me and my guests. Check out the Growth Today Patreon page for more details.
For as little as $2 per episode get perks like:
- Growth Today thank you note and stickers mailed to you
- Access to the private Growth Today Slack community
- Get podcast episodes at least one day earlier than the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- Listen LIVE to select podcast recording sessions (at least once a month)
- And more..
Please consider becoming a Growth Today patron today. This is a one-man show; I record, edit and create all the marketing materials for each episode. My goal is to raise $200 per podcast episode so I can focus on finding more amazing guests and giving you more value.
The first 20 supporters will get all the perks for 75% off. Plus, I’ll mention you in every episode for the rest of the year and podcast episodes.
Thank you to my first Patreons:
- Jamie from the United States
- Veronika from UK
- Fabricio Marcias from Brazil
- Nicholas Vargas from Australia
- Sam Grover from New Zealand
- Joseph Valenti from Canada
- Louis Nicholls from Switzerland
- Jason Ng from United States
- Anwar from Canada
Thank you! 🎉
About Kasey Bayne
With over a decade of marketing experience, Kasey Bayne has spent time building marketing and sales channels at FreshBooks, Olark Live Chat, and other companies across Canada and the US, focusing on building the best possible customer experience. She is currently the Head of Marketing at DataTrue,
- 2:30 – Kasey’s career journey from FreshBooks, Olark, and
- 6:03 – What is DataTrue?
- 9:27 – The differences and similarities with selling to SMBs versus enterprise companies
- 12:16 – What Kasey focused on in the first 100 days as Head of Marketing at DataTrue
- 17:33 – The KPIs that Kasey focused on at DataTrue
- 21:54 – The content type and marketing channel that brought the best-converting SQL
- 31:35 – How Kasey built the community marketing program at FreshBooks
- 38:34 – What does it mean to be data-driven as a marketer?
- 42:11 – Kasey’s one piece of advice to marketers
- 44:27 – Where can people find out more about Kasey online
Join the Growth Today Tribe
Get the actionable growth cheat sheets from the latest podcast episodes. Ask questions to upcoming guests. 👇
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.