Everyone knows how powerful word of mouth marketing can be for a business. So what’s the problem? Largely word of mouth is unpredictable. One week you can get a ton of new customers through referrals, the next is crickets. For most businesses, it’s like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Enter Josh Ho, Founder and CEO of ReferralRock, a referral program software. In this episode, he talks about how he started, bootstrapped, and grew ReferralRock.
In episode 78, you’ll learn:
- How the company started focusing on SEO – targeting keywords and updating content regularly
- Josh mistake with hiring his first salesperson (and how you can avoid it)
- The importance of increasing your prices
Tweet Some Quotes from This EpisodeI quickly figured out that it wasn't just blog and let it go. We doubled down on updating old content. – @jlogic from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full podcast episode 👇 Click To Tweet All I built is what customers ask and end up with. If all I built was my vision, I probably wouldn’t have any customers left or only like maybe one person in the world sees exactly how I see it.. – @jlogic from @GrowthToday podcast. Get… Click To Tweet The most success I've had in hiring is when I do the job first myself so I know exactly what skills I need to hire for. – @jlogic from the @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode, ReferralRock, a referral program software.
ReferralRock unlocks referrals waiting to happen by automating the ask for a referral, aligning rewards and incentives, integrating viral loops to line up the next advocate.
Your customers want to refer you. Make it easy for them.
Unlock new referrals with referral program software that helps you remove roadblocks that stop customers from referring you.
Make word of mouth happen instead of hoping and waiting.
ReferralRock is used by hundreds of companies to generate more referrals, including TripAdvisor, YMCA, AT&T, and more
Sign up for a free 14-day trial or a consultative demo at referralrock.com/growthtoday
My Takeaways from This Episode
- Update your old content. This is something I also learned from Derek Gleason, Content Lead at CXL. Updating old content helps website visitors know that you care about providing the latest information about a topic.
- Hire slowly. Josh learned this with the first salesperson he hired. One of the things Josh does now is to make sure he does the job first before he hired for the job. This way, he knows exactly what he’s hiring for.
- A higher price point gives some validation to the quality of your product. When Josh increased the price of ReferralRock, enterprise companies welcomed it. It helped validate the value of ReferralRock.
Become a Patreon Supporter
I want to give my podcast fans even more exclusive access to my guests and me. Check out the Growth Today Patreon page for more details.
For as little as $2 per episode get perks like:
- Growth Today thank you note and stickers mailed to you
- Access to the private Growth Today Slack community
- Get podcast episodes at least one day earlier than the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- Listen LIVE to select podcast recording sessions (at least once a month)
- And more…
Please consider becoming a Growth Today patron today. This is a one-man show; I record, edit, and create all the marketing materials for each episode. My goal is to raise $200 per podcast episode, so I can focus on finding more amazing guests and giving you more value.
The first 20 supporters will get all the perks for 75% off. Plus, I’ll mention you in every episode for the rest of the year and podcast episodes.
Thank you to my first Patreons:
- Jamie from the United States
- Veronika from the UK
- Fabricio Marcias from Brazil
- Nicholas Vargas from Australia
- Sam Grover from New Zealand
- Joseph Valenti from Canada
- Louis Nicholls from Switzerland
- Jason Ng from the United States
- Anwar from Canada
- Altagracia Diaz from Canada
Thank you! 🎉
About Josh Ho
Josh Ho is an entrepreneur and software engineer. He is currently the founder and CEO of ReferralRock. Josh believes that building a business isn’t that different from building software, except for the fact that people don’t behave quite as predictably as computers.
- 8:09 – Josh’s journey from software consulting to founding ReferralRock
- 13:16 – How ReferralRock started
- 18:45 – Josh’s customer development process
- 23:16 – How ReferralRock gained the first signups and customers
- 28:14 – How the company started focusing on SEO – targeting keywords and updating content regularly
- 38:10 – How the pricing changed with the addition of extra features that customers demanded.
- 43:43 – Josh’s one piece of advice to marketers
Join the Growth Today Tribe
Get the actionable growth cheat sheets from the latest podcast episodes. Ask questions to upcoming guests. 👇
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.