SaaS companies that invest in customer research grew 2-3x faster than companies that don’t, according to research done by ProfitWell. The problem is that 65% of marketers rarely do customer research.
That’s where Katelyn Bourgoin comes in. Her mission is to make customer research sexy again and help frustrated product and marketing teams use customer insight to guide innovation and identify untapped growth opportunities. In this episode, Katelyn reveals her step-by-step process in helping companies identify their best customers and trigger them to buy more.
Support this podcast by tweeting out some quotes from this episode 👇
Tweet Some Quotes from This EpisodeIt's really hard to empathize with customers and be a great marketer when you've actually never actually talked to them. – @KateBour from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full podcast episode 👉 https://pic.twitter.com/87O9GZmRCa Click To Tweet The 'how' of what I do is audience research. The 'what' of what I do is clarity and growth. – a quote by @KateBour in the latest @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full podcast episode 👇 Click To Tweet A study by @profitwell found that SaaS companies who were doing 10 or more customer research call a month were growing 2-3x faster. – a quote by @KateBour in the latest @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full podcast episode 👇 Click To Tweet
What You’ll Learn in This Episode
- Katelyn’s step-by-step process for helping companies identify their best customers
- Katelyn’s “How Might We” exercise to help teams turn insights into actionable growth steps
- Some of the biggest mistakes companies make when it comes to audience research
- What does Katelyn see in the future for audience research, marketing, and UX
My Takeaways from This Episode
- You don’t know what you don’t know. One of the first steps of Katelyn’s customer research process is to gather the team and ask the question, “What don’t we know about our customers?” It’s tempting to fill in the blanks with assumptions. Audience research starts with having the humility to say there’s a lot of things your team doesn’t know about.
- Audience research can’t work in silo to the product, sales, and marketing team. Using Katelyn’s “How Might We” exercise, you can take your insights into suggestions and improvements for the product, sales, and marketing team. This is one of the ways to make sure that your audience research actually makes an impact on your company.
- Always communicate on the value delivered of your work. Katelyn said that the way she gets buy-in from the leadership team of any company to do audience research is by communicating the value of audience research. For Katelyn, that’s helping companies figure out who their best customers are and the trigger that causes them to buy so they can sell more stuff.
About Katelyn Bourgoin
How Katelyn went from 3x founder to lead trainer at Customer Camp
Why some of the best growth marketers are entrepreneurial
What is customer camp
Why is that 65% of marketers rarely do customer research
How do you get buy-in from leadership to do customer research
Katelyn’s step-by-step process for doing customer research
Using customer surveys vs. interviews
Incentivizing customers to jump on an interview call
How does Katelyn position customer research to customers
How can a company figure out its best customer based on customer research?
Katelyn’s “How Might We” exercise to help companies use audience research to solve business problems
An example of a “How Might We” exercise
What are some of the biggest mistakes companies make when it comes to audience research
How do you remove or avoid bias when doing audience research
Why market research reports are not effective
Challenges with working with larger companies when doing audience research
What does Katelyn see in the future for audience research, marketing, and UX
Tools and resources for customer research
How does Katelyn get such great engagement on Twitter
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.