Imagine if you could connect with your website visitors the moment they landed on your site. They understood exactly what kind of value your product or solution provided. And they were eager to join your email list or hit the buy button. That’s what Jen Havice does for companies she works with. She turns data, user research, customer interviews, and surveys into irresistible website copy that makes visitors say, “Yes!” Jen has been featured on the blog for Unbounce, ConversionXL and CopyHackers.
In episode 64, you’ll learn:
- How do you build data-backed buyer personas
- Jen’s favorite questions to ask in surveys to understand the motivations and triggers of buyers
- The biggest mistakes most websites make when it comes to copy conversion
If you enjoyed this podcast, you can support it in three ways:
- Tweeting a quote from this podcast below👇
- Joining the Growth Today Tribe for free
- Supporting me on Patreon for as little as $2 per episode
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode 42+ Agency.
I’ve know the founder of that agency for sometime now – Kamil Rextin. Kamil and his team helps B2B SaaS businesses:
- Streamline operations
- Implement new tech stack
- Design ABM & demand generation strategies
- Create a predictable revenue pipeline
They’ve worked with some amazing companies like Onfleet, Hubdoc, Guestlogix, Flexday and more.
Book a free roadmapping session at https://fourtytwo.agency/
Tweet Some Quotes from This EpisodeThe big problem is that a lot of marketers just really on basic demographic data for buyer personas. They're not really gonna help you understand the reasons behind buyer decision-making. – @jenhavice from @GrowthToday podcast Click To Tweet A lot of websites is just a laundry list of features instead of telling what kind of value it's going to provide and how it's going to provide that value. - @jenhavice from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet The most important thing to remember when writing website copy is really understanding your prospect's state of awareness. – @jenhavice from the @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet 95 percent of the copywriting process from a conversion perspective is going to rely on voice of customer user research. – @jenhavice from the @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet
My Takeaways from This Episode
- Go deeper with your buyer personas. According to Jen, most buyer personas are wishful thinking on who they want their customers to be and not who their customers are actually. Talk to your best customers to identify the expectations, needs, wants and concerns of your customers.
- Understand what was happening in the life and business of your customers that pushed them to seek a solution like yours. Jen said that this is one of the best ways to figure out their motivations and triggers. Then, you can use triggers in your website copy.
- The most important thing to remember when writing website copy is understanding your prospect’s state of awareness. For one of Jen’s clients, one customer segment was more aware of the problem and solution than another. So they crafted different pages for the two segments.
Become a Patreon Supporter
I want to give my podcast fans even more exclusive access to me and my guests. Check out the Growth Today Patreon page for more details.
For as little as $2 per episode get perks like:
- Growth Today thank you note and stickers mailed to you
- Access to the private Growth Today Slack community
- Get podcast episodes at least one day earlier than the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- Listen LIVE to select podcast recording sessions (at least once a month)
- And more..
Please consider becoming a Growth Today patron today. This is a one-man show; I record, edit and create all the marketing materials for each episode. My goal is to raise $200 per podcast episode so I can focus on finding more amazing guests and giving you more value.
The first 20 supporters will get all the perks for 75% off. Plus, I’ll mention you in every episode for the rest of the year and podcast episodes.
Thank you to my first Patreons:
- Jamie from the United States
- Veronika from UK
- Fabricio Marcias from Brazil
- Nicholas Vargasfrom Australia
- Sam Grover from New Zealand
- Joseph Valenti form Canada
- Louis Nicholls from Switzerland
- Anwar from Canada
Thank you! 🎉
About Jen Havice
- 3:40 – How Jen became a conversion
- 6:35 – Why do marketers get buyer’s personas so wrong
- 12:44 – How can marketers better understand their customers motivation, pain points, hesitations, and triggers?
- 18:18 – How do you decide between surveys, customer interviews, or pop-up questions when doing user research?
- 21:52 – Good questions to ask when sending out surveys
- 30:30 – How do you find the balance between talking about features and benefits?
- 36:12 – Jen’s process for turning research and insights into website copy that converts
- 39:42 – How do you user research if you don’t have any users?
- 42:32 – Jen’s one piece of advice to marketers and founders who are looking to improve their website’s conversion
- 43:50 – Where can people find out more about Jen?
Join the Growth Today Tribe
Get the actionable growth cheat sheets from the latest podcast episodes. Ask questions to upcoming guests. 👇
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.