Whenever I talk to growth leaders on how they onboard users to their product, I’m always fascinated by how often the term “aha” moment comes up. They consistently say they want their users to get to their product’s “aha” moment, the interaction that fills their users with a feeling of delight and reveals the true value of the product to them.
According to Vivek, the Head of Growth at Wave, your job of onboarding new users doesn’t end when they experience the first “aha” moment, but what he calls the “First Activation Event” or FAE for short. In this episode, Vivek shares his user activation framework that helped Wave get acquired by H&R Block for $537 million.
In episode 97, you’ll learn:
- Why is the “Aha” moment not enough to determine if a user is activated?
- How the Wave team designed the onboarding experience
- Why managing up is an important skill for growth teams to have?
Get the free cheat sheet from this episode
Get the actionable tips and notes from the latest podcast episode in a one-page PDF for free. 👇
Tweet Some Quotes from This EpisodeThe mission of onboarding is to identify valuable customers, guide them to value faster, and set them up for success. – @Hashtag_V from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full podcast episode 👇 Click To Tweet User activation is a retention lever. – @Hashtag_V from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode 42+ Agency.
I’ve known the founder of that agency for some time now – Kamil Rextin. Kamil and his team help B2B SaaS businesses:
- Streamline operations
- Implement new tech stack
- Design ABM & demand generation strategies
- Create a predictable revenue pipeline
They’ve worked with some amazing companies like Onfleet, Hubdoc, Guestlogix, Flexday and more.
Book a free roadmapping session at https://fourtytwo.agency/gmt
Key Discussion Points
- [02:33] What is Wave?
- [06:48] What are the lessons from Vivek took from working in Growth at Shopify to Wave?
- [12:10] As the first growth hire at Wave, how did Vivek get the buy-in from the executive team?
- [16:55] Why managing up is an important skill for growth teams to have?
- [20:13] What is the number one metric that Vivek and the growth team are accountable to?
- [22:05] Why is the “Aha” moment not enough to determine if a user is activated?
- [28:20] How do you figure out what your First Activation Event (FAE) is?
- [32:43] How does Growth work with the demand gen and product teams?
- [37:37] How the Wave team designed the onboarding experience
- [52:32] Vivek’s advice to growth teams
Become a Patreon Supporter
I want to give my podcast fans even more exclusive access to my guests and me. Check out the Growth Today Patreon page for more details.
For as little as $2 per episode get perks like:
- Growth Today thank you note and stickers mailed to you
- Access to the private Growth Today Slack community
- Get podcast episodes at least one day earlier than the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- Listen LIVE to select podcast recording sessions (at least once a month)
- And more…
Please consider becoming a Growth Today patron today. This is a one-man show; I record, edit, and create all the marketing materials for each episode. My goal is to raise $200 per podcast episode, so I can focus on finding more amazing guests and giving you more value.
The first 20 supporters will get all the perks for 75% off. Plus, I’ll mention you in every episode for the rest of the year and podcast episodes.
Thank you to my first Patreons:
- Jamie from the United States
- Veronika from the UK
- Fabricio Marcias from Brazil
- Nicholas Vargas from Australia
- Sam Grover from New Zealand
- Joseph Valenti from Canada
- Louis Nicholls from Switzerland
- Jason Ng from the United States
- Anwar from Canada
- Altagracia Diaz from Canada
Thank you! 🎉
Vivek Balasubramanian is the Director of Growth at Wave. where he leads a metric-focused, experiments-driven function. The growth team at Wave is a cross-functional team with key players from engineering, design, and data.
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.