After a year and half of flat traffic at HubSpot, Aja Frost, now the Head of Content SEO at HubSpot, implemented a new “organic first” strategy, which increased the organic traffic to HubSpot’s blog from 4.1 million unique monthly visitors to 6.3 million in less than 10 months. In this episode, I grill Aja on the details of how they were able to achieve that extraordinary increase in organic traffic.
By the way, Aja just wrote a new book on remote work, “Work from Home Hacks.” In it, she shares 500 easy ways to get organized, stay productive, and maintain a work/life balance while working from home. Pre-order it now.
In episode 98, you’ll learn:
- How HubSpot went from 4.1 million unique monthly visitors to 6.3 million in less than 10 months.
- Why HubSpot only publishes four main buckets of content
- How they approach deleting, merging, and updating old content
Get the free cheat sheet from this episode
Get the actionable tips and notes from the latest podcast episode in a one-page PDF for free. 👇
Tweet Some Quotes from This EpisodeContent treadmill is when you keep publishing content that drives traffic momentarily but flattens out over time. It’s not sustainable traffic. – @ajavuu from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full podcast episode 👇 Click To Tweet Be really intentional with SEO. Just because it works for someone else's business doesn't mean it's going to be a lot of value for you. – @ajavuu from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode, Superside.
As marketers, getting on-brand design and creative exactly when your team needs it can be painful.
It’s hard to deliver on the seemingly endless number of requests that come in from teams across your company – and prioritizing those tasks can feel impossible.
Instead of spending your time and resources on strategic projects that can positively impact the business, you find yourself mired in production-level tasks.
Your agency may be failing you with skyrocketing costs and late turnarounds while finding and managing freelancers is no longer a realistic option – there are just too many variables to manage, from sourcing to schedules, fees to the overall quality of the delivered designs.
Don’t sweat it. Just Superside it.
With Superside.com, you get a dedicated design team that understands your goals and gets trained on your brand guidelines, for the fraction of hiring a full-time designer.
Your Superside design team acts as an extension of your organization, helping you to service requests at volume and deliver on your company’s design and creative needs in a scalable, efficient way
They’ll confidently jump in at a moment’s notice to produce the on-brand work you need when you need it
Create an account and get started, or better yet, book a demo to see it in action at Superside.com.
Key Discussion Points
- [02:41] How Aja became the Head of Content SEO at HubSpot
- [04:51] How HubSpot went from 4.1 million unique monthly visitors to 6.3 million in less than 10 months
- [07:32] Why was HubSpot’s traffic flat for a year prior to that?
- [09:35] How did they get out of the “content treadmill”?
- [11:37] How does Aja perform keyword research for content?
- [15:55] What are the four main buckets of content that HubSpot publishes and why they only publish content into those buckets?
- [20:27] With Google become more strict with manipulated external links, should companies still guest blog?
- [22:37] Aja shares her thoughts on SEMRush incident with selling guest posts and links
- [27:04] What’s HubSpot’s process for historical optimization (refreshing old content for search engines)?
- [33:32] How do you increase your chance of getting your content as Google’s featured snippet?
Become a Patreon Supporter
From scheduling, recording, and editing each new episode, this weekly podcast is one-person labor of love to all things marketing. If you like what I do here, please consider supporting this Growth Marketing Today on Patreon.
Patreon allows the fans for this show to contribute as little as $2 per episode, which is less than a cup of coffee a week, and receive a load of extra perks and goodies like:
- An ad-free experience of the podcast
- Early access to every new episode before the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- And more…
Learn more about our Patreon. Thank you
If you can’t give or don’t feel like it, that’s ok, too. I’m just happy you’re here!
About Aja Frost
Aja Frost is the Head of Content SEO at HubSpot. Aja joined HubSpot in 2016 as a writer on the Sales Blog. One year later, she was promoted to Editor. Aja pioneered a new “organic first” strategy that helped the Sales Blog break through a 1.5-year traffic plateau.
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.