Topic clusters have been a big trend in content marketing and SEO–and with good reason. However, the way the model is created doesn’t take the user into consideration. And there’s nothing more frustrating as a consumer than being forced down the funnel when you’re not ready or not finding the next step you need in your journey. In this episode, Carolyn Lyden, Founder of searchhermit.com, proposes a user-focused content matrix to remedy the inward-looking content generation method with the topic cluster model.
In episode 91, you’ll learn:
- Why the topic cluster model is good for SEO but not always great for the website visitor
- How to create a user-focused content matrix that lets you plan your brand content editorial calendar around both the user and the search results
- The biggest misconceptions when it comes to SEO
Tweet Some Quotes from This EpisodeInvest in SEO early on. Paid and social advertising can benefit greatly from having an SEO foundation. – @carolynlyden from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full podcast episode 👇 Click To Tweet Meaningful user engagement depends on your business model. Take a look at the micro-conversions along the way, whether that’s signing up for an email, filling out a form, or scheduling a phone call. – @carolynlyden from @GrowthToday… Click To Tweet
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode 42+ Agency.
I’ve known the founder of that agency for some time now – Kamil Rextin. Kamil and his team help B2B SaaS businesses:
- Streamline operations
- Implement new tech stack
- Design ABM & demand generation strategies
- Create a predictable revenue pipeline
They’ve worked with some amazing companies like Onfleet, Hubdoc, Guestlogix, Flexday and more.
Book a free roadmapping session at https://fourtytwo.agency/gmt
My Takeaways from This Episode
- Invest in SEO early on. Paid and social advertising can benefit greatly from having an SEO foundation.
- Meaningful user engagement depends on your business model. Take a look at the micro-conversions along the way, whether that’s signing up for an email, filling out a form, or scheduling a phone call.
- To increase your website’s user engagement, lead visitors to the next step in solving their problem, whether that’s another content or product pages.
Become a Patreon Supporter
I want to give my podcast fans even more exclusive access to my guests and me. Check out the Growth Today Patreon page for more details.
For as little as $2 per episode get perks like:
- Growth Today thank you note and stickers mailed to you
- Access to the private Growth Today Slack community
- Get podcast episodes at least one day earlier than the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- Listen LIVE to select podcast recording sessions (at least once a month)
- And more…
Please consider becoming a Growth Today patron today. This is a one-man show; I record, edit, and create all the marketing materials for each episode. My goal is to raise $200 per podcast episode, so I can focus on finding more amazing guests and giving you more value.
The first 20 supporters will get all the perks for 75% off. Plus, I’ll mention you in every episode for the rest of the year and podcast episodes.
Thank you to my first Patreons:
- Jamie from the United States
- Veronika from the UK
- Fabricio Marcias from Brazil
- Nicholas Vargas from Australia
- Sam Grover from New Zealand
- Joseph Valenti from Canada
- Louis Nicholls from Switzerland
- Jason Ng from the United States
- Anwar from Canada
- Altagracia Diaz from Canada
Thank you! 🎉
About Carolyn Lyden
Carolyn Lyden is the President and Lead SEO at Search Hermit grew up spending weekends helping the small family business. In her first real job as a writer for a marketing agency, she quickly learned that, if she wanted people to read what she created for clients, she needed to teach herself SEO. And so Carolyn has been in search ever since. This experience led her to love helping small businesses grow and learn. Carolyn loves to dive into unusual industries and has developed strategies for that work for anyone. No industry is too unique or “unmarketable.”
Key Discussion Points
- 2:29 – Carolyn Lyden’s career journey
- 5:08 – What is the content cluster SEO model and why it’s broken
- 11:37 – What are the metrics you need to be tracking to measure user engagement?
- 14:08 – How can you increase user engagement on your website?
- 17:57 – When should businesses gate or ungate their content?
- 23:08 – The impact of user-focused SEO
- 28:26 – The biggest misconceptions when it comes to SEO
- 32:24 – Carolyn’s one piece of advice to business owners about SEO
Join the Growth Today Tribe
Get the actionable growth cheat sheets from the latest podcast episodes. Ask questions to upcoming guests. 👇
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.