As the team at the SaaS commerce platform Paddle has learned, real growth is about entering new markets, and that takes thoughtful attention to pricing, making inroads into new geographic regions, deciding whether to move upmarket (or downmarket), and offering new standalone products instead of bloated features tacked on to old ones. In this episode, Ed Fry, Paddle’s growth ops, shares his five-star growth framework that describes how Paddle achieved 2,475% revenue growth.
In episode 92, you’ll learn:
- The five-star growth framework that’s helped Paddle grow 2,475% in revenue
- Why businesses need to optimize for being intentional from day one
- How to unlock real growth by expanding your market
Tweet Some Quotes from This EpisodeTo unlock real growth, you have to think about expanding your market, not just capturing more of an existing one. A killer product, a great story, and sales talent are just the bare essentials now – @edfryed from @GrowthToday podcast.… Click To Tweet If you go and look at public SaaS companies, you go down to their S-1 and investor filings and Q1 reports, there are five most common market-moving strategies. This really sets the context for how companies grow. – @edfryed from… Click To Tweet
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode, Superside.
As marketers, getting on-brand design and creative exactly when your team needs it can be painful.
It’s hard to deliver on the seemingly endless number of requests that come in from teams across your company – and prioritizing those tasks can feel impossible.
Instead of spending your time and resources on strategic projects that can positively impact the business, you find yourself mired in production-level tasks.
Your agency may be failing you with skyrocketing costs and late turnarounds while finding and managing freelancers is no longer a realistic option – there are just too many variables to manage, from sourcing to schedules, fees to the overall quality of the delivered designs.
Don’t sweat it. Just Superside it.
With Superside.com, you get a dedicated design team that understands your goals and gets trained on your brand guidelines, for the fraction of hiring a full-time designer.
Your Superside design team acts as an extension of your organization, helping you to service requests at volume and deliver on your company’s design and creative needs in a scalable, efficient way
They’ll confidently jump in at a moment’s notice to produce the on-brand work you need when you need it
Create an account and get started, or better yet, book a demo to see it in action at Superside.com.
My Takeaways from This Episode
- To unlock real growth, you have to think about expanding your market, not just capturing more of an existing one. A killer product, a great story, and sales talent are just the bare essentials now
- Optimize for being international from day one. Growing companies often see international expansion as a huge endeavor, requiring years of careful planning. But as Ed points out, even small optimizations for global customers can have outsized results, especially in software where the barriers to entry are low.
- Growth requires collaboration, not kingdoms. It should be clear by now that a truly effective growth strategy spans a number of initiatives. Paddle’s Five Star Framework dispatches with the notion that a company can get by on its product, marketing, or sales alone in a way that will produce massive, meaningful growth.
Become a Patreon Supporter
I want to give my podcast fans even more exclusive access to my guests and me. Check out the Growth Today Patreon page for more details.
For as little as $2 per episode get perks like:
- Growth Today thank you note and stickers mailed to you
- Access to the private Growth Today Slack community
- Get podcast episodes at least one day earlier than the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- Listen LIVE to select podcast recording sessions (at least once a month)
- And more…
Please consider becoming a Growth Today patron today. This is a one-man show; I record, edit, and create all the marketing materials for each episode. My goal is to raise $200 per podcast episode, so I can focus on finding more amazing guests and giving you more value.
The first 20 supporters will get all the perks for 75% off. Plus, I’ll mention you in every episode for the rest of the year and podcast episodes.
Thank you to my first Patreons:
- Jamie from the United States
- Veronika from the UK
- Fabricio Marcias from Brazil
- Nicholas Vargas from Australia
- Sam Grover from New Zealand
- Joseph Valenti from Canada
- Louis Nicholls from Switzerland
- Jason Ng from the United States
- Anwar from Canada
- Altagracia Diaz from Canada
Thank you! 🎉
About Ed Fry
Ed Fry is currently at Paddle where he runs experiments and ops around sales velocity, branding, content, and data. He’s currently working with Co-Founder & Chief Customer Officer on accelerating all commercial functions. Ed has a deep working knowledge of content and data operations behind growth strategies.
Key Discussion Points
- 2:59 – Ed’s career journey
- 4:43 – What does growth as an infrastructure mean?
- 9:59 – Why is Paddle going up-market?
- 11:52 – The five-star growth framework
- 16:19 – How localizing pricing results in growth
- 21:57 – When should businesses start thinking about going international?
- 27:03 – How can a business know which country to expand to next?
- 32:24 – Paddle’s playbook for conferences
- 44:32 – What’s next for Paddle?
Join the Growth Today Tribe
Get the actionable growth cheat sheets from the latest podcast episodes. Ask questions to upcoming guests. 👇
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.