When I first caught wind of the trend of companies building “growth teams,” I probably had a similar reaction to a lot of people: “Wait a second, isn’t everyone on the sales and marketing teams at a company already part of the growth team?” Then, of course, the follow-up question: “How about product managers? Aren’t they thinking about how to grow adoption of their products too?” In this episode, Connor Bradley, Growth Manager at Jobber, shares exactly what the growth does to adding value to the product, demand gen, customer success, and marketing teams at Jobber.
In episode 83, you’ll learn:
- How do you integrate the growth process in the whole company
- How a small growth team can make a big impact in a company with more than 160 employees
- How does the growth team work with product, demand gen, customer success, and marketing teams
Tweet Some Quotes from This EpisodeAt the end of the day, we’re learning about our users at a very high rate which is valuable in itself. We have assumptions around – if you give them something to do, will they do it or will they ignore you? That’s learning right there –… Click To Tweet One of the goals of the growth team is to get your company into a growth mindset and have people thinking about growth – @_connorb from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet Don't just focus on having an MQL. Think about that journey when that person becomes a customer. – @_connorb from the @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode, ReferralRock, a referral program software.
ReferralRock unlocks referrals waiting to happen by automating the ask for a referral, aligning rewards and incentives, integrating viral loops to line up the next advocate.
Your customers want to refer you. Make it easy for them.
Unlock new referrals with referral program software that helps you remove roadblocks that stop customers from referring you.
Make word of mouth happen instead of hoping and waiting.
ReferralRock is used by hundreds of companies to generate more referrals, including TripAdvisor, YMCA, AT&T, and more
Sign up for a free 14-day trial or a consultative demo at referralrock.com/growthtoday
My Takeaways from This Episode
- The goal of growth is learning as quickly as possible. As Connor puts it, growth is about learning about your users at a very high rate. The way you do that is by stating your assumptions and designing a test. For example, if you give your users something to do, will they do it or will they ignore you? That’s learning right there.
- One of the goals of the growth team is to get your company into a growth mindset and have people thinking about growth. You can only come up with so many ideas with a few people. Connor says that his team of four need help from other people.
- Don’t just focus on having an MQL. Think about that journey when that person becomes a customer. How do they adopt your product? how do they get retained? Take it a step further.
Become a Patreon Supporter
I want to give my podcast fans even more exclusive access to my guests and me. Check out the Growth Today Patreon page for more details.
For as little as $2 per episode get perks like:
- Growth Today thank you note and stickers mailed to you
- Access to the private Growth Today Slack community
- Get podcast episodes at least one day earlier than the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- Listen LIVE to select podcast recording sessions (at least once a month)
- And more…
Please consider becoming a Growth Today patron today. This is a one-man show; I record, edit, and create all the marketing materials for each episode. My goal is to raise $200 per podcast episode, so I can focus on finding more amazing guests and giving you more value.
The first 20 supporters will get all the perks for 75% off. Plus, I’ll mention you in every episode for the rest of the year and podcast episodes.
Thank you to my first Patreons:
- Jamie from the United States
- Veronika from the UK
- Fabricio Marcias from Brazil
- Nicholas Vargas from Australia
- Sam Grover from New Zealand
- Joseph Valenti from Canada
- Louis Nicholls from Switzerland
- Jason Ng from the United States
- Anwar from Canada
- Altagracia Diaz from Canada
Thank you! 🎉
About Connor Bradley
Connor Bradley the Growth Manager at Jobber. Through Connor’s extensive experience in SaaS, he’s been given insight into how to drive top-of-funnel leads and move opportunities through to ACV revenue. Once acquired, Connor focuses on activating and retaining customers to combat churn and grow an active user base that consistently connects to the value of our software.
Key Discussion Points
- 9:36 – Connor’s journey to becoming the Growth Manager at Jobber
- 14:26 – How growth experimentation looks like at Jobber
- 19:47 – How the growth team at Jobber work with other teams
- 34:58 – How other teams can build a growth team
- 29:01 – How to get buy-in from other teams
- 45:51 – Connor’s advice to marketers interested in growth
Join the Growth Today Tribe
Get the actionable growth cheat sheets from the latest podcast episodes. Ask questions to upcoming guests. 👇
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.