Right now, with the COVID-19 virus spreading and the oil war going on in the Middle East, we seem to be in a perfect storm of things going on that could go either way. It might all recover quickly, and it might get a lot worse. In this episode, John Doherty, Founder and CEO Credo (a marketplace for companies hire pre-vetted digital marketing agencies and consultants), shares his advice to help you navigate your business in these unsettling times.
In episode 88, you’ll learn:
- How to generate leads for your business in uncertain times like this
- How to get into the mindset of “work” at home
- Why it’s important to have a “key man procedure”
Tweet Some Quotes from This EpisodeHow to Navigate Your Business in Unsettling Times with John Doherty (GMT088) Click To Tweet Businesses are seeing bigger budgets, fewer projects, but bigger more qualified leads. People are still hiring, so don’t give up. – @dohertyjf from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode, Superside.
As marketers, getting on-brand design and creative exactly when your team needs it can be painful.
It’s hard to deliver on the seemingly endless number of requests that come in from teams across your company – and prioritizing those tasks can feel impossible.
Instead of spending your time and resources on strategic projects that can positively impact the business, you find yourself mired in production-level tasks.
Your agency may be failing you with skyrocketing costs and late turnarounds while finding and managing freelancers is no longer a realistic option – there are just too many variables to manage, from sourcing to schedules, fees to the overall quality of the delivered designs.
Don’t sweat it. Just Superside it.
With Superside.com, you get a dedicated design team that understands your goals and gets trained on your brand guidelines, for the fraction of hiring a full-time designer.
Your Superside design team acts as an extension of your organization, helping you to service requests at volume and deliver on your company’s design and creative needs in a scalable, efficient way
They’ll confidently jump in at a moment’s notice to produce the on-brand work you need when you need it
Create an account and get started, or better yet, book a demo to see it in action at Superside.com.
My Takeaways from This Episode
- Don’t make a permanent decision based on short-term things going wrong. I love this advice from John. This period in time is temporary. It will pass.
- Find the opportunity. John found in his survey that 71% of businesses saw a drop in leads in the last weeks. But, there are 28.4% (almost two thirds) that have not. What are they doing? What is the opportunity?
- Have a routine in place when working remotely. I love his concept of commuting into your office. Go out for a walk around the block to get into the mindset of work. Put on work pants and work clothes.
Become a Patreon Supporter
I want to give my podcast fans even more exclusive access to my guests and me. Check out the Growth Today Patreon page for more details.
For as little as $2 per episode get perks like:
- Growth Today thank you note and stickers mailed to you
- Access to the private Growth Today Slack community
- Get podcast episodes at least one day earlier than the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- Listen LIVE to select podcast recording sessions (at least once a month)
- And more…
Please consider becoming a Growth Today patron today. This is a one-man show; I record, edit, and create all the marketing materials for each episode. My goal is to raise $200 per podcast episode, so I can focus on finding more amazing guests and giving you more value.
The first 20 supporters will get all the perks for 75% off. Plus, I’ll mention you in every episode for the rest of the year and podcast episodes.
Thank you to my first Patreons:
- Jamie from the United States
- Veronika from the UK
- Fabricio Marcias from Brazil
- Nicholas Vargas from Australia
- Sam Grover from New Zealand
- Joseph Valenti from Canada
- Louis Nicholls from Switzerland
- Jason Ng from the United States
- Anwar from Canada
- Altagracia Diaz from Canada
Thank you! 🎉
About John Doherty
John Doherty is the founder of Credo and a freelance growth marketing and SEO consultant based in beautiful Denver, Colorado when he is not traveling.
With almost a decade of digital marketing experience, John has worn many hats and seen many things at companies that both help them succeed in big ways and also keep them from succeeding. It is now his passion to not only grow companies through great online marketing but also to coach companies through times of transition so that they are set up for success in the future.
Key Discussion Points
- 3:16 – What is Credo?
- 5:33 – The biggest lessons John learned from growing Credo to $1M business
- 7:13 – Based on a recent survey, how is lead generation affected by COVID-19?
- 9:54 – What should businesses be paying attention to at this moment?
- 14:13 – John’s tips for working remotely
- 16:40 – John’s advice for managers who are now managing a remote team
- 21:54 – Why should business owners have a “key man procedure”?
- 23:43 – John’s framework for lead generation in tumultuous times
Join the Growth Today Tribe
Get the actionable growth cheat sheets from the latest podcast episodes. Ask questions to upcoming guests. 👇
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.