There is a ceiling on your conversion rate. It’s not your price. It’s not your copy. It’s not your form. It could be your page load time. Slow websites cause visitors to bounce, which impacts the potential search ranking of your website. In this episode, Lukas Haensch, former Page Speed Specialist at Google and now the Co-Founder and CEO of Pathmonk, shares with you practical tips to increase the speed of your website by up to 3x.
In episode 72, you’ll learn:
- Why is page speed important for SEO and conversion optimization?
- What is critical path rendering and how can it help you speed up your site?
- How the type of font on your website affects page speed?
- Five lightweight ways to improve your page speed
If you enjoyed this podcast, you can support it in three ways:
- Tweeting a quote from this podcast below👇
- Joining the Growth Today Tribe for free
- Supporting me on Patreon for as little as $2 per episode
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode, RankScience. RankScience is the easiest way to grow organic traffic and get your content ranking higher in Google.
Their AI-powered platform gives your content team superpowers and helps you get more value out of the content you’re already creating.
RankScience uses real-time search data and Natural Language Processing to help you craft content that is highly relevant to searcher intent and maps directly to what users are searching for. This allows you to optimize past blog posts and plan out and create new ones, giving you a step by step plan for easy success.
For customers with lots of landing pages, you can leverage RankScience’s SEO A/B testing platform to easily test which HTML changes cause an uplift in search traffic.
As an added bonus, their platform also allows marketers to make SEO enhancements to websites without eating up precious engineering resources.
RankScience is used by hundreds of companies to grow organic traffic, from startups to publicly traded companies. Including customers like Buildzoom, Goldbelly, Suiteness, and CareerKarma.
Sign up for a free risk-free 30-day trial at https://rankscience.com/growthtoday
My Takeaways from This Episode
- Compress your images. Images are the most resource intensive assets that browser’s have to typically load. One thing I’ve been doing is using tinypng.com to compress images. But, Lukas suggests taking it to the next level and using base 64 encoding to add your images.
- Use Roboto or Open Sans whenever possible. I don’t have a very creative eye. So, I just use the readily available fonts from Google. I didn’t think about how the type of font on your site affects page speed. Lukas suggests using Robots or Open Sans so user’s browsers don’t have to download your custom font before your website loads.
Become a Patreon Supporter
I want to give my podcast fans even more exclusive access to me and my guests. Check out the Growth Today Patreon page for more details.
For as little as $2 per episode get perks like:
- Growth Today thank you note and stickers mailed to you
- Access to the private Growth Today Slack community
- Get podcast episodes at least one day earlier than the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- Listen LIVE to select podcast recording sessions (at least once a month)
- And more..
Please consider becoming a Growth Today patron today. This is a one-man show; I record, edit and create all the marketing materials for each episode. My goal is to raise $200 per podcast episode so I can focus on finding more amazing guests and giving you more value.
The first 20 supporters will get all the perks for 75% off. Plus, I’ll mention you in every episode for the rest of the year and podcast episodes.
Thank you to my first Patreons:
- Jamie from the United States
- Veronika from UK
- Fabricio Marcias from Brazil
- Nicholas Vargas from Australia
- Sam Grover from New Zealand
- Joseph Valenti form Canada
- Louis Nicholls from Switzerland
- Anwar from Canada
- Jan Kuzel from Czech Republic
Thank you! 🎉
About Lukas Haensch
Lukas Haensch is the co-founder and CEO of Pathmonk, a tool that helps you get more leads with the same website traffic using SmartCards. Prior to that, he was a Mobile Page Speed Specialist at Google.
- 3:43 – The story of how Lukas went from working at Google to founding Pathmonk
- 7:30 – How do you measure page speed?
- 9:50 – Why is page speed important for SEO?
- 11:58 – What is a good page speed?
- 13:56 – What are lightweight things founders and marketers can do to speed up their website?
- 30:07 – How does different browsers load websites?
- 31:42 – The results of implementing all of Lukas’ suggestion
- 32:51 – Should you put a video above the fold of a website?
- 34:24 – What is Pathmonk?
- 41:07 – Lukas’ one piece of advice to marketers
Join the Growth Today Tribe
Get the actionable growth cheat sheets from the latest podcast episodes. Ask questions to upcoming guests. 👇
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.