Can you think of the last time you saw something and you just had to tell your friends about it? Do you remember having a great experience at a restaurant and later on tweeting about it? This is, essentially, word of mouth marketing (WOMM). It’s an organic way of spreading information that utilizes components of viral marketing, though unlike viral marketing, it spreads by more natural channels. In this episode, Saul Colt, Founder and Creative Director of The Idea Integration Company, shares how he’s built relation planned, created, and launched experiential and word-of-mouth campaigns that helped brands like FreshBooks, Xero, Nike, and more to stand out from competitors.
In episode 79, you’ll learn:
- Why companies must embrace experiential and word of mouth marketing
- How to unforgettable experiences that capture hearts, minds, and wallets that get people talking
- How to plan and implement successful experiential and word-of-mouth campaigns
Tweet Some Quotes from This EpisodeAny product can be copied, any product can be stolen, any idea. One thing you can’t steal is a relationship with your customers. – @saulcolt from @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full podcast episode 👇 Click To Tweet Customers really embrace brands that stand for something. People want to have non-transactional relationships with the brands they admire. That means you actually have to get to know them and spend time with them. – @saulcolt from… Click To Tweet Word of mouth and experiential are really the springboard to creating traditional media opportunities. – @saulcolt from the @GrowthToday podcast. Get the full episode 👇 Click To Tweet
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode, ReferralRock, a referral program software.
ReferralRock unlocks referrals waiting to happen by automating the ask for a referral, aligning rewards and incentives, integrating viral loops to line up the next advocate.
Your customers want to refer you. Make it easy for them.
Unlock new referrals with referral program software that helps you remove roadblocks that stop customers from referring you.
Make word of mouth happen instead of hoping and waiting.
ReferralRock is used by hundreds of companies to generate more referrals, including TripAdvisor, YMCA, AT&T, and more
Sign up for a free 14-day trial or a consultative demo at referralrock.com/growthtoday
My Takeaways from This Episode
- Do great work and make sure everyone knows that it came from you. That’s great advice from Saul. It’s something that I’m trying to do right now by investing more of my time and resources to my personal brand.
- Customers really embrace brands that stand for something. People want to have non-transactional relationships with the brands they admire. That means you actually have to get to know them and spend time with them. The fact that you have a relationship with your customers is the greatest differentiator that you can have from a competitor.
- Build real relationships with your customers. Any product can be copied, any product can be stolen, any idea. One thing you can’t steal is a relationship with your customers. Ads are amazing, ads work. That’s why advertising agencies are still going. But ads don’t last forever. And ads, you know, don’t create real emotional connections.
Become a Patreon Supporter
I want to give my podcast fans even more exclusive access to my guests and me. Check out the Growth Today Patreon page for more details.
For as little as $2 per episode get perks like:
- Growth Today thank you note and stickers mailed to you
- Access to the private Growth Today Slack community
- Get podcast episodes at least one day earlier than the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- Listen LIVE to select podcast recording sessions (at least once a month)
- And more…
Please consider becoming a Growth Today patron today. This is a one-man show; I record, edit, and create all the marketing materials for each episode. My goal is to raise $200 per podcast episode, so I can focus on finding more amazing guests and giving you more value.
The first 20 supporters will get all the perks for 75% off. Plus, I’ll mention you in every episode for the rest of the year and podcast episodes.
Thank you to my first Patreons:
- Jamie from the United States
- Veronika from the UK
- Fabricio Marcias from Brazil
- Nicholas Vargas from Australia
- Sam Grover from New Zealand
- Joseph Valenti from Canada
- Louis Nicholls from Switzerland
- Jason Ng from the United States
- Anwar from Canada
- Altagracia Diaz from Canada
Thank you! 🎉
About Saul Colt
Saul Colt is the Founder and Creative Director of The Idea Integration Company. In a previous life Saul was the first international employee of Zipcar and the person responsible for launching Zipcar into the Canadian marketplace, was a key contributor to the growth of FreshBooks.com (The #1 Cloud Accounting service for Small Business Owners) and even knows what it is like to work for a large corporation from his time in a leadership role at Rogers Communications and Xero.com. Saul has spoken at Stanford University, NYU, 92Y, CES and SXSW and offers consulting services specializing in Word of Mouth Marketing, Stunt Marketing, Social Media, Customer Experience, and Community Building. In his free time he collects Nike Air Force One sneakers, watches lots of movies and just happens to be the Smartest Man in the World.
- 8:22 – How Saul began his professional career as a comic book writer
- 13:06 – Why building sustained relationships with customers is the best kind of marketing
- 18:13 – How to give people the reason to talk about your product
- 28:08 – Some innovative and risky ventures Saul has tried for his clients
- 33:26 – What Saul thinks about the Peloton ad
- 38:18 – Defining success metrics and goals for business marketing campaigns
Join the Growth Today Tribe
Get the actionable growth cheat sheets from the latest podcast episodes. Ask questions to upcoming guests. 👇
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.