Onboarding is a such critical phase of the customer journey when customers form their first impression of your product and decide whether to stick around or churn out. Like any first impression, once formed, it tends to stick. This can set you up for long-term success or doom your relationship to short-term failure. In this episode, Aazar Shad, Head of Growth at UserPilot, discusses the fundamentals of customer onboarding.
In episode 69, you’ll learn:
- What is minimum viable onboarding
- The biggest mistakes companies make when it comes to customer onboarding and how to avoid it
- The fundamentals of customer onboarding
If you enjoyed this podcast, you can support it in three ways:
- Tweeting a quote from this podcast below👇
- Joining the Growth Today Tribe for free
- Supporting me on Patreon for as little as $2 per episode
Our sponsor for this episode
Thank you for the sponsor of this episode 42+ Agency.
I’ve known the founder of that agency for sometime now – Kamil Rextin. Kamil and his team helps B2B SaaS businesses:
- Streamline operations
- Implement new tech stack
- Design ABM & demand generation strategies
- Create a predictable revenue pipeline
They’ve worked with some amazing companies like Onfleet, Hubdoc, Guestlogix, Flexday and more.
Book a free roadmapping session at https://fourtytwo.agency/gmt
My Takeaways from This Episode
- Focus on the outcome and not the feature. When it comes to product tours, Aazar suggests that you really focus on what the goal and outcome of the user is and craft a tour based on their goal. For most companies their product tour just described the features they have.
- Onboarding doesn’t end after a user becomes a paying customer. That’s where product adoption comes in. There are hundreds of situations where on-demand or directed product tours and emails can help further educate how they can succeed with your tool.
- Create a minimum viable onboarding. You do this by understanding the steps users need to take to achieve their first “aha” moment with your product. Then, you can rally your product, marketing, design, and customer success team to getting users through that minimum viable onboarding.
Become a Patreon Supporter
I want to give my podcast fans even more exclusive access to me and my guests. Check out the Growth Today Patreon page for more details.
For as little as $2 per episode get perks like:
- Growth Today thank you note and stickers mailed to you
- Access to the private Growth Today Slack community
- Get podcast episodes at least one day earlier than the public release
- Unlimited access to all the growth cheat sheets
- Listen LIVE to select podcast recording sessions (at least once a month)
- And more..
Please consider becoming a Growth Today patron today. This is a one-man show; I record, edit and create all the marketing materials for each episode. My goal is to raise $200 per podcast episode so I can focus on finding more amazing guests and giving you more value.
The first 20 supporters will get all the perks for 75% off. Plus, I’ll mention you in every episode for the rest of the year and podcast episodes.
Thank you to my first Patreons:
- Jamie from the United States
- Veronika from UK
- Fabricio Marcias from Brazil
- Nicholas Vargasfrom Australia
- Sam Grover from New Zealand
- Joseph Valenti form Canada
- Louis Nicholls from Switzerland
- Anwar from Canada
Thank you! 🎉
About Aazar Ali Sad
Aazar Ali Shad, the Head of Growth at UserPilot, a company that helps you deliver the perfect product experience. Aazar has more than six years of SaaS experience and is currently helping 600+ SaaS companies improve user onboarding and increase product adoption.
- 2:38 – Aazar’s takeaway from SaaStock 2019
- 4:56 – Aazar’s journey to becoming Head of Growth at UserPilot
- 12:35 – Why should founders and marketers care about customer onboarding?
- 21:30 – Big mistakes companies make in customer onboarding
- 25:34 – Examples of companies that have great customer onboarding
- 28:50 – The difference between user activation and customer onboarding
- 32:39 – What is minimum viable onboarding
- 38:44 – How can adding a human touch help with improving customer onboarding
- 48:54 – Aazar’s one piece of advice to anyone who aspired to become a Head of Growth of a startup
- 51:09 – Where can you find Aazar and UserPilot online
Join the Growth Today Tribe
Get the actionable growth cheat sheets from the latest podcast episodes. Ask questions to upcoming guests. 👇
Music By The Passion HiFi www.thepassionhifi.com.